- This event has passed.
George Washington’s Tour of the South with Kathryn Smith
Nov 9 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pmFree
On Thursday, Nov. 9, at 7 PM, renowned author Kathryn Smith will present a free historical program on George Washington’s Tour of the South. Using the costumed persona of Martha Washington, Smith will enchant her audience with tales of traveling the South during the late 1700’s.
Kathryn Smith is a journalist and writer with a life-long interest in history. She has lived all her life in Georgia and South Carolina, and earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism at the University of Georgia. She worked as a daily newspaper reporter and editor, and has been the book columnist for the Anderson Independent Mail for twenty years.
This presentation is one of the first as part of Smith’s newest book tour for Methodists & Moonshiners: Another Prohibition Expedition Through the South…with Cocktail Recipes. This new release is the companion to her previously written book Baptists & Bootleggers: A Prohibition Expedition Through the South…with Cocktail Recipes released in 2021. Both books will be sold and autographed by the author after the presentation.
A special cocktail punch reminiscent of what would have been served during the time period will be available to of-age attendees to sip during the event.
This event is a companion to the newest BAMA exhibit, On the Road, which will be open at 6:30 for visitors to enjoy that evening.
In addition to being open the night of the presentation, the On the Road exhibit will be on display until December 16, during normal business hours at the Belton Area Museum Association located at the Belton Depot on Wednesday – Friday 9 am – 2 pm, and Saturday, 10 am – noon. Scheduled group tours can be arranged by calling 864-338-7400.
The Belton Area Museum Association is a place where people of all ages, backgrounds, and ethnicities can learn about and experience our area’s history and culture. Museum admission is free.
Have an event you would like added to the calendar?
Please fill out the fields below and submit your event. Your event submission will be review and you will be notified when event is approved and added to the calendar.
Community Calendar Policy
1. The Community Calendar is for the promotion of special local events hosted by non-profit organizations, the City of Belton and Anderson County.
2. Organizations may submit special public events and annual fund raisers (but not regular meetings or private event announcements) to be posted.
3. Calendar items may be static or may include a link to the website of the sponsor organization to provide additional information.
4. The Belton Alliance will attempt to reflect accurate information on the Community Calendar, but cannot take responsibility for the accuracy of information provided by any organization.
5. The Belton Alliance retains the final authority to determine if an event may be posted on the Community Calendar.