The City of Belton, South Carolina is a thriving and stable community nestled in the eastern part of Anderson County. It was settled by families of Irish descent and was chartered in 1855 as a “child of the railroad” on the track that linked the Piedmont region with the coastal market of Charleston.
The family life in Belton is accented by gently rolling hills, small ponds and lakes. Belton is a quiet, southern community, managing growth with charm. It has all the amenities for raising a family, yet is an easy drive from large population centers of Greenville-Spartanburg, Atlanta, and Charlotte. Residents and visitors will enjoy exploring quaint shops lining Main Street Square, and other shopping locations in the surrounding area.
Belton’s Schools are a part of Anderson School District 2, and include two elementary schools, a middle school, and a consolidated high school between Belton and neighboring Honea Path.
Evidence of a religious tradition are the more than 25 churches of various denominations in Belton.
Recreation facilities in the community consist of ten lighted tennis courts, four publicly owned baseball/softball fields, practice fields, playgrounds and a lighted walking track. Three 18 hole golf courses are located within 10 miles of the city. Nearby Lake Hartwell, Broadway Lake, and Lake Russell provide areas for fishing, camping, boating, skiing, swimming, and picnicking.
Belton is located in the northwest section of the state in Anderson County, only minutes from downtown Anderson. Charleston, South Carolina’s busiest port is 207 miles southeast. Columbia, the state capital, is 107 miles southeast. Myrtle Beach the states most popular tourist spot is 260 miles east and Greenville is 22 miles northeast. Belton is 128 miles northeast of Atlanta, 726 miles south of New York, and 2,651 miles east of San Francisco.
Facts About Belton
- Belton is a “Child of the Railroad.”
- Belton was named for Judge Belton O’Neal by Miss Josephine Brown.
- Belton is the highest point between Greenville and Columbia … 980-ft above sea level.
- The first church in Belton was the Presbyterian.
- For many years the city limits extended for one-half mile. It was changed to one mile in 1940.
- The concrete standpipe is one of the few of its type in the south.
- The area where Belton now stands was once the hunting ground for the Cherokee Indians.
- Belton is the second largest city in Anderson County.
- Judge W. F. Cox was the first Belton boy to be sent to college.
- Belton is proud of its tennis courts and tennis players. The Tennis State Championships are played here. The South Carolina Tennis Hall of Fame is located in the Depot here in Belton.
- Belton had a fair from 1904 until 1927.
- Belton changed from a town to a city in 1960.
- Abney Mill was one of the few mills to start with the raw product and produce the finished product.
- Blair Mill was for many years the only Turkish Towel Mill in the state.
- The first Dixie Home Store was opened in Belton by J. P. Williamson, from which grew the great south-wide chain store, Winn-Dixie.
- Over 100 men served in World War I from Belton.
- Mr. W. Carroll Brown taught the first school in 1851.
- There are four highways coming into Belton: Nat. 178-76 State 247-20.
- Three Belton structures are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Visit the City of Belton’s website here: cityofbeltonsc.com
Visity the City of Anderson’s website here: andersoncountysc.org