85 Players and 14 Schools Play in 4th S. C. Men’s Collegiate Tennis Championships
The South Carolina Men’s Collegiate Tennis Championships presented by AnMed Healther were played for the fourth year in Belton last weekend with 85 players representing 14 state colleges and universities. Singles champions were determined in 6 flights and doubles champions in 3 flights. The tournament is presented by the Belton Tennis Association and sanctioned by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association and is played in memory of long time Belton tennis volunteer and official Jim Russell.
The Championship Singles and Championship Doubles determined the state champions. The results of the championship matches in each flight were:
- Championship Singles: Luiz Faria, Coastal Carolina def. Wood Benton, USC 6-3, 6-3
- Russell Singles: Zak Talic, Coastal Carolina def. Chesco Cori, Coastal Carolina 6-3, 7-5
- Kriese Singles: Gabriel Couto, Lander def. Josh Ryan, Winthrop 7-5, 6-3
- Cabri Singles: Edgar Diaz, S. C. State def. Peter Coombs, Wofford 6-4, 6-4
- Scarpa Singles: Cyprian Owczarz, S. C. State def. John Crawford, Wofford 6-3, 6-4
- McKinney Singles Round Robin: Winner Diego Losada, Wofford
- Championship Doubles: Quiroz/Teixeira, Winthrop def. Benton/Brown, USC 8-4
- Demars Doubles: Pistorious/Steryous, Furman def. Yanchenko/Diaz, S. C. State 8-4
- Varn Doubles: Faria/Cohen, Coastal Carolina def. Losada/Villar, Wofford 8-7
The Jim Russell Memorial Sportsmanship Award was presented to John Crawford of Wofford.
Over 250 matches were played during the 3-day event at the Belton Tennis Center, Leda Poore Park and Belton-Honea Path High School. Coastal Carolina players claimed the top 2 singles titles while Winthrop won the championship doubles title. South Carolina State won 2 singles titles, Lander 1 and Wofford 1 while Furman and Coastal Carolina each won 1 doubles title.
Tournament Director Rex Maynard said: “We had a perfect weekend for tennis and played a lot of matches. There was some great tennis throughout, and most of the matches were competitive. These college players compete in the fall to gain match experience, and this tournament provided each player with 4 singles matches and 4 doubles matches. We appreciate the support of all 14 teams and their coaches and players as well as our officials and volunteers. An Med Health is our title sponsor. Their support along with that of Chick-fil-A of Anderson allows us to provide a real quality event for the players and coaches. These sponsors mean a lot to Belton Tennis, and we appreciate all they do.”
Leave a Reply