- This event has passed.
Oct 9 @ 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 9:00 am on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, repeating until December 12, 2019
The Belton Area Museum Association in conjunction with All About Fabrics/Phoenix of Anderson presents a three-month exhibit entitled Handmade, beginning with an opening celebration on Sunday, Sept. 8, from 3 – 5 pm at the historic Belton train depot.
At the celebration, there will be a pop up craft show featuring artisans and traditional crafters demonstrating their skills and sharing their wares. Patrons can browse handmade items for sale such as split oak baskets, wooden toys, turned bowls, stained glass, home baked sourdough bread, turkey calls, seasonal wreaths, leather crafts, metal signs, jewelry, soaps, and sugar scrubs.
In addition to the crafters, the exhibit will be revealed for all to enjoy. Vintage and antique articles all made by hand are on display. From utilitarian to the most ornate, artifacts include quilts, tatted, knitted, and crocheted items, handmade lace, cobbled shoes, ironwork, silver, musical instruments, locally made furniture pieces, ceramics, millinery, Catawba pottery, puzzles, and more. Tools that help to make these items are also included in the exhibit.
As a tie in activity to the exhibit, craft classes have been arranged with local artisans during the next three months. Check out the Belton Depot Facebook page or www.beltonmuseum.com for more information and to sign up for classes.
A home school day is also planned for Sept. 25, at 10 AM. Cost is $3 per student and open to ages 7 – 12.
Presented by All About Fabrics/Phoenix of Anderson with additional sponsorship by Anderson County ATAX and the City of Belton HTAX, the exhibit is free to visit.
The exhibit is on display through December 14 during normal museum hours, Wednesday-Friday (9 – 2), Saturday (10-12), or by appointment. For more information or to arrange a tour, please contact Abigail Burden, executive director, at 338-7400.
Have an event you would like added to the calendar?
Please fill out the fields below and submit your event. Your event submission will be review and you will be notified when event is approved and added to the calendar.
Community Calendar Policy
1. The Community Calendar is for the promotion of special local events hosted by non-profit organizations, the City of Belton and Anderson County.
2. Organizations may submit special public events and annual fund raisers (but not regular meetings or private event announcements) to be posted.
3. Calendar items may be static or may include a link to the website of the sponsor organization to provide additional information.
4. The Belton Alliance will attempt to reflect accurate information on the Community Calendar, but cannot take responsibility for the accuracy of information provided by any organization.
5. The Belton Alliance retains the final authority to determine if an event may be posted on the Community Calendar.