- This event has passed.
Expedition: A Natural History Adventure Around the World
Apr 10 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 10:00 am on Saturday, repeating until May 29, 2021
Expedition: A Natural History Adventure Around the World features fossils, gemstones, and minerals from across the globe and animal mounts from three continents.
Come face to face with the world’s 5th largest lion to come out of Africa. Look at the various adaptations of squirrels from North America. Marvel at the markings and sharp teeth of fish caught in the Amazon River. See gemstones gathered from quarries all around the world. Ponder fossils that are millions of years old.
“There’s something for everyone to enjoy,” said Belton Area Museum Association executive director Abigail Burden. “It’s amazing to see how majestic and varied these creatures are, and the beautiful gemstones and interesting fossils help us all to learn about the vast biodiversity our world has contained.”
The exhibit is open Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, 9 am to 2 pm, and Saturdays, 10 am to noon until May 29, 2021 in the North End Gallery of the historic Belton train depot.
Special group tours can be arranged by contacting executive director Abigail Burden at 864-338-7400 or [email protected]
All guests are encouraged to follow safety guidelines such as wearing protective masks and practicing social distancing.
As a special tie in activity, each fourth Saturday, BAMA members can take an adventure to Diamond Hill Mine and dig for amethysts. Charge per person is usually $20 to dig, but with a BAMA membership card, visitors will receive a $5 discount each. Check out all that Diamond Hill Mine has to offer at https://diamondhillmine.com/. Dates for special discounts for BAMA members are Sept. 26, Oct. 24, Nov. 28, Dec. 26, Jan. 23, Feb. 27, Mar. 27, and Apr. 24.
Thanks to Sportsman’s Warehouse, special backpacking and nature themed items will be given away throughout the exhibit to visitors who sign in and win the bi-weekly drawing.
Admission is free of charge to the exhibit because of the patronage of the following companies: Sportsman’s Warehouse, Home Instead Senior Care, S and M Auto Parts, Friddle’s Orthopedic Appliances, Inc., City of Belton Hospitality Fund, Anderson County ATAX Fund, and Diamond Hill Mine.
Come join us as we take a natural history adventure around the world!
Have an event you would like added to the calendar?
Please fill out the fields below and submit your event. Your event submission will be review and you will be notified when event is approved and added to the calendar.
Community Calendar Policy
1. The Community Calendar is for the promotion of special local events hosted by non-profit organizations, the City of Belton and Anderson County.
2. Organizations may submit special public events and annual fund raisers (but not regular meetings or private event announcements) to be posted.
3. Calendar items may be static or may include a link to the website of the sponsor organization to provide additional information.
4. The Belton Alliance will attempt to reflect accurate information on the Community Calendar, but cannot take responsibility for the accuracy of information provided by any organization.
5. The Belton Alliance retains the final authority to determine if an event may be posted on the Community Calendar.