- This event has passed.
Epidemics: Diseases Gone Wild
July 6, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 10:00 am on Saturday, repeating until August 24, 2019
Commemorating the 100th anniversary of the worldwide Spanish Flu epidemic that made its way to rural Anderson County by spring of 1919, this exhibit will explore the cultural and medical repercussions of this 20th Century epidemic and celebrate the medical advances in all areas of the health care industry since then.
Artifacts on display include vintage or antique items involving the dental, medical, ocular, chiropractic, and laboratory occupations, and show how medical practices have changed over the years. A collection of 18th and 19th century medical tools and a mock up of an early operating room are centerpieces of the exhibit.
Hands-on displays will allow visitors to try out vintage medical equipment, use an ultraviolet light to learn how germs are spread, and grow their own petri dishes of bacteria, bringing the world of the unseen into focus.
Contact Abigail Burden at [email protected] or call 338-7400 for more information. The exhibit will continue on Saturdays from 10:00 to 12:00 thru August 24.
Have an event you would like added to the calendar?
Please fill out the fields below and submit your event. Your event submission will be review and you will be notified when event is approved and added to the calendar.
Community Calendar Policy
1. The Community Calendar is for the promotion of special local events hosted by non-profit organizations, the City of Belton and Anderson County.
2. Organizations may submit special public events and annual fund raisers (but not regular meetings or private event announcements) to be posted.
3. Calendar items may be static or may include a link to the website of the sponsor organization to provide additional information.
4. The Belton Alliance will attempt to reflect accurate information on the Community Calendar, but cannot take responsibility for the accuracy of information provided by any organization.
5. The Belton Alliance retains the final authority to determine if an event may be posted on the Community Calendar.